Adding birds.

Started by ex-para, February 18, 2011, 15:46:10

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-para

I am not getting away to well with pigeonplanner when I try to add a bird I get invalid input band number and year are necessary. I have put in NEHU2010CF1000 and NEHU10CF1000 and same with the sire etc. I have pigeonplanner 1.0.0. using ubuntu.

Timo

The band and year in the top right are required, the sire and dam are optional. But if you enter the sire and/or dam, they have to be valid too. So the band and the year have to be entered. If you enter only the band or only the year, it will give you that error.

In all fiels, the band can be anything, but the year has to be 4 digits.

ex-para

Thanks for the reply, I had just about figured out how to add birds. I am in the UK and its done not quite the same but I think I have a lot to learn. When I add a bird and sire/dam I click save and then I cant find what I have done. Is there any information you or anyone can point me to that might fill the blanks in for me.

Timo

Currently, there is a major lack of documentation. Most of the time I am working on the program itself, and it's just me for now. Writing documentation can be very time consuming.
I was thinking to set up a wiki where everybody can contribute, which should make things easier.
In the meantime, the best thing to do is just explore the program, as it should be pretty straightforward. And if something goes wrong or is not clear, you can always ask here.

ex-para

Again thanks for the reply, having used Linux for must be getting on ten years has made me used to searching and finding out things and I have learned that if you want to use freeware you have to be able to fix it your self so I shall keep at it until I get there. 

capetonian

Hi Timo  ;D,

My name is Riedwaan, from Cape Town, South Africa.  I have just downloaded the latest version 1.0.2 (using windows installer). The problem i encountered was that after adding a pigeon and clicking on the save button, it simply dissappears, and there is no record of the entry.  After clicking save, no error message appears, the entry simply vanishes. ???   Hope you can assist me with my problem. ;)

QBall

Hello,

My name is Cristian from Romania, have some problem as Riedwaan. Do not know why but after I click Save the details entered wanish and no pigeon is added.

Regards,

Timo

That's very strange. I need to have a look at this, because everything went right during testing.

Does this happen with every pigeon? Does the pigeon appear after restarting the program?
You could also try the following, which is a bit advanced, but could help me:
- Remember the band and year of the pigeon that fails to add
- Start the Pigeon Planner database tool, you can find it in the programs menu
- Go to the the SQL tab
- Type this (replace 1234567 and 2011 with the band and year of the pigeon) and press 'execute': SELECT pindex, show FROM Pigeons WHERE band=1234567 AND year=2011

In the bottom, you will get some output like this: [('12345672011', 0)]
Please tell me if the second value is 0 or 1.

Rijnberg

I'm also using 1.02.
Don;t have any problems with adding new pigeons.

QBall

This happens to every one of the pigeons that I add. None of the data is stored in the left list of the program. So in a few words I can not add any pigeons. It is not about a pigeon or other every one of them just dissaper after I click Save. So the program does not store any of them. I mention that I use the program in romanian language.

QBall

It is very very strange, now it is working, do not know why. When I first posted this problem I had the previous version installed (Pigeon_Planner-0.8.2). I removed the old one and installed the new one from the web site. It did not work. Now I tried to do some thing different, I installed the Pigeon_Planner-0.8.2 and when I oppened it  I clicked to update to a new version as the program sugested.After install of new version at first try (in english) the program added the pigeon without any problems but when I switch on romanian language (note that I closed and oppened the program to update the language) the program did not want to add the pigeons any more. I switched to english again and tried to add a pigeon, when I clicked "Save" I got a message that the pigeon is already added but not showing, asking me if I wanted to show it again. I clicked to show it and it added the pigeon. Then switched back to romanian (same procedure) and now is adding pigeons in my language (romanian).
I do not understand why did happen, but now it is working without any problems, but I believe that if I will uninstall it I will never get it to add again. Do not know if I explained things so every one can understand wht happed but I`m oppen to any question to make it clear.
Either way, Tim, I just want to take my hat of in front of you and bring all of my gratitude for what you are doing here. You work for nothing just helping some people to have a great program, no one would do this in this days just to bring help to people that are passionate in same sport.

Timo

I just found the problem, and I am a bit ashamed that this happens. It is just a stupid mistake I made in the code.

What happens?
You add a pigeon, click 'save', but nothing happens.
This problem only occurs in these two circumstances:
- You don't have any pigeons in the list (first time you use the program for example)
- There are pigeons, but none of them is selected when you try to add one

Where did the pigeon go?
Well, it actually is saved in the database, but is set to be invisible in the list. this is a trick that is used in the program to store pedigree pigeons, that don't need to show in the list. So every pigeon you add is treated as a pedigree pigeon, not a main pigeon.

What should I do?
You can wait for the next version (1.0.4) where this problem will be fixed, or try one of the following solutions:
- Add the same pigeon you already added. Just click 'Add', fill in the band number, year and sex of a pigeon you already added, other info is not needed and click 'Save'. A popup will come up which says that the pigeon already exists and asks you if you want to show it again. Click 'yes' and the pigeon will be in the list.
- Go to File->Add a range of pigeons. A new window will come up where you can add a range of bandnumbers. If you set the first 2 fields to the same band number, it will just add that one pigeon.

Doing one of the above will make that at least one pigeon is in the list and the error won't happen again.

QBall

Thank you for the explanations gaved, I managed to fix it dooing the first thing you explained. Hope this also will help others that will have this difficulties.
I guess I will enter my pigeons in this version, but I have a question, when you will release version 1.0.4 will I be forced to enter all of my pigeons again if I update ?
Do not be ashamed who does not work does not make mistakes, even so you made a honorable thing that no one can accuse of mistakes.

Regards,
Cristian

Timo

Glad it worked, then this should be a workaround for everyone who has troubles.

When updating or even uninstalling the program, your data will be kept. This is because your database is stored in a different location than the program itself. It's always good to make a backup, but the installer won't touch the data.

Rijnberg

Quote from: Timo on February 27, 2011, 13:08:15
I just found the problem, and I am a bit ashamed that this happens. It is just a stupid mistake I made in the code.

What happens?
You add a pigeon, click 'save', but nothing happens.
This problem .....
Where did the pigeon go?
Well, it actually is saved in the database, but is set to be invisible in the list. this is a trick that is used in the program to store pedigree pigeons, that don't need to show in the list.
So every pigeon you add is treated as a pedigree pigeon, not a main pigeon.
[/u]
[
Is it possible to give a pigeon the status Pedigree pigeon?

kind regards Jaap