restore backup

Started by epliett, February 28, 2021, 00:22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

epliett

Bought a new Dell computer. Been 3 days trying to get get my backup zipped file to load into Pigeon Planner.
I extracted the file also, still no luck.
I'm finally out of ideas.
I had my backup on a external hard drive, and also on a Flash drive.
I get the PP loaded on the computer just fine, it comes up with NO entries on it.
I'm sure the paths are the same also.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

epliett

I hope support can help me out here.
I know the paths have to match in order to do a data restore.
Are we talking about the User Varible path  or the System varibles path?

Albino_Hedgehog

Does the database file still work on the original PC?

Timo

There's no need to unzip the backup archive. Start Pigeon Planner and close the database manager (Close, not Quit at the bottom right). Then go to File=>Backup and click "Restore a backup". Choose the backup archove and it'll show all available databases.

The paths will be coloured:
- Green: ok
- Orange: a database already exists at that location, it'll be overwritten
- Red: the location doesn't exist, select that database and click "Change database path" below to choose a valid path

The latter usually happens when moving the backup to another computer with a different username.

epliett

When you say start PP are you saying on the new computer where there are no entries? or on the old computer where all my entries are. I've backed the files onto a external HD, and also a flash drive. Neither PP program shows anything after I open PP, close data base manager, go to backup, select restore. NOTHING. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong, I never had this problem when i transfered the data base from my other computer, to my wifes computer. I just can't get it to transfer to the new Dell computer.

epliett

Oh , all my entries are still located on the old computer.

epliett

WOW, finally, I did something right. Finally got my backup restored to New computer.
Thanks Timo, after rereading your instructions a couple times,,,,it made sense to me.
Thanks

Timo

Good to hear that it works now!

Albino_Hedgehog