Testing Android app

Started by Timo, February 11, 2021, 16:45:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Timo

After many years and countless request, work has started on building a mobile application. An initial release is now available with the basic usage implemented. At the moment it's not possible to modify anything yet, so the app is read-only and will only display the data.

Give it a test and comment on any bugs or possible improvements.

Highlights

• A list of all your pigeons
  • See the details of your pigeons
  • See the pedigree of your pigeons
  • See the relatives of your pigeons

How-to

Since it's a read-only app, you'll need your database from the desktop application which contains all pigeons and other data. The path to the database can be found in the database manager. Copy that file to the mobile device and import it in the app.

Known issues

• The pedigree gets drawn incorrectly sometimes after scaling and changing its settings

Download

During testing the app is distributed by a single apk file. Make sure your security settings allow installation from unknown sources. Select the correct architecture for your device:

Multi-arch APK

armeabi-v7a (32-bit)

arm64-v8a (64-bit)

Future plans

• Release the app in the Play Store
  • Persist pedigree settings
  • Implement translations

Albino_Hedgehog

I'm guessing this is why you have made it easier to export the database?

I'll jump on it now and have a look

:)

Timo

The button to open the database folder is probably very usel for this.

I haven't got much response yet, so any feedback is welcome. I'm not sure if it's in a great state at the moment.

Albino_Hedgehog

Quote from: Timo on October 07, 2021, 15:48:35
The button to open the database folder is probably very usel for this.

I haven't got much response yet, so any feedback is welcome. I'm not sure if it's in a great state at the moment.

It's definitely usable, although in a rather basic state in its current form.

I have found it quite useful when I have been checking up on some of my birds, and just want to double-check lineage and such while out in the loft.

One improvement I would suggest, is the ability to have the pictures attached to the database in some way? I do feel this would help the app feel more complete, especially if you can upload pics straight from your phone to the app.

But overall very good for the first build!

Timo

Thanks, I'll make a note of it and see what'll be done in the future.