V4.2 New Pedigree Functionality Discussion

Started by Dane, May 07, 2020, 23:51:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Dane

Updated the sample Pedigree Report today  (Maximum print of all data associated with all birds that are shown on a pedigree).

See the long post above.
Velocity First Roller Club
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Pedigree Data Information Display Options

I took another shot at listing what I though would be requested and valuable pedigree attributes to allow users to select to include in pedigrees:

1. BANDNUMBER (Mandatory - must have this always)
2. COCK/HEN: A one character field "C" or "H" to display next to the band number to confirm sex
3. USER1: A user defineable one character field that will be displayed to the right of the Cock/Hen display
                 (There have been two recent ideas for use of this user field, one for eye color and another for a bird "Type" characteristic)
                 (There should be a way for a user to rename this field to something like EyeColor or Muscle that would still use a one character data field)
4. STRAIN: The strain or family of the bird
5. COLOR: Color of the bird
6. BREEDER: The breeder of the bird
7. NAME: The "Nickname" or a.k.a. name of the bird.
8. PEDIGREE COMMENTS: Will display 6, 3 or none of these comments depending on what area of the pedigree is being completed
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Pedigree Area Display Mock-up

Proposed display using some of the new data options posted above.

This mock-up shows that cock/hen identifier in the first line displayed as either (C) or (H) and also includes the User1 field [M] for muscle.

As can be seen earlier generations display 6 lines of comments, mid generations only display 3 lines of comments and the final generation shows no comments (just no room).

The fact that not all the comments a user might want kept for a bird (and their ancestors) can be printed on a pedigree was one of the primary drivers for the suggestion of a "Pedigree Report", which could display all data and comments for each bird in a report format.
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Suggestion for the development path of the new pedigree

What do you think about trying to get a proof of concept beta version created to show what the new format display would look like by cloning the current pedigree version, renaming it, and then just hard coding the data display fields in the pedigree, for example, in the way I built my sample above.

Then all that would be needed is the ability to enter and display the new fields and then force the data (from old fields and new ones) into the newly cloned and renamed pedigree version.  That might be a good way to make sure all the data appears where we want it and there are no issues with the display.

This way once we finish work on the beta, would actually have the new "premium" pedigree version working, just using the old, but modified, pedigree code.

After the beta version is working properly, then the new version could be coded and developed.  Then at least the users would have a super nice version of the pedigree to select from and use until your more flexible version in the newly coded version is available.

Thoughts?
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Question about the logic needed to accomplish the task if displaying repeating band numbers in a pedigree

I definitely don't what your initial developmental thoughts were on how to accomplish this, but what I have seen that you have already built, it seems I may have a workable suggestion and would like your feedback. ( Just would like to understand more at this point, not requesting that this function is rolled into the new pedigree development right now)

I have see a function in the pedigree system that appear to make the specific bird info areas in the pedigree be turned blue for cocks and pinks for hens.

Based on that my thought was if a process was created to pull all the band numbers on a given pedigree in a temp file/table and then have that file/table queried and have a new temp file/table create with all the band numbers that are repeated in the pedigree.

Then for when the pedigree is generated/printed, if the bird's information being displayed on the pedigree matches the band number in the temp file (indicating it is a repeated band number) then turn the box a specific color (like green for example - different from the previous blue or pink used), however, the actual color of the box is not really important.  What would be important is just to have an indication that the band is a repeated band number.  This could actually be accomplished by just changing the font color of the band to say RED.  That way the user can just review the pedigree and easily tell which birds are repeated in the pedigree.

[I do ask about this functionality because I have a friend that is looking for a system that has this functionality as he does a lot of genetic work and the occurrence of specific birds, and how often they occur, has a significant amount of value to his breeding program]

Thoughts?

Quote from: Dane on May 09, 2020, 21:18:51
HIGHLIGHTING SAME BIRDS/BANDS ON A PEDIGREE

I believe I saw this request on an older thread, but can we have an options where any similar birds are highlighted on a pedigree?
Super helpful to find common ancestors!!  I know of one roller guy with a 100's of birds looking for just this one feature in a pedigree function since seeing similar ancestors is a HUGE priority to him.

I would suggest the basic options option would be to highlight with a single color any birds that have a band repeated anywhere in the pedigree.

The best option would be to use some logic to determine which band numbers appeared most frequently in the pedigree and have those band number ranked in priority and then color highlight them with each of the X number of highlighted colors avail until until they ran out of available colors then just highlight the rest of the bands with similar band numbers (even though their bands may not be the same) in grey.
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Updated pedigree mock-up

Quote from: Dane on May 19, 2020, 02:47:27
Pedigree Area Display Mock-up

Proposed display using some of the new data options posted above.

This mock-up shows that cock/hen identifier in the first line displayed as either (C) or (H) and also includes the User1 field [M] for muscle.

As can be seen in earlier generations, display 6 lines of comments, mid generations only display 3 lines of comments and the final generation shows no comments (just no room).

The fact that not all the comments a user might want kept for a bird (and their ancestors) can be printed on a pedigree was one of the primary drivers for the suggestion of a "Pedigree Report", which could display all data and comments for each bird in a report format.
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Very excited to see the beta of the new pedigree system.  It appears as if it will be unequaled in its abilities and functionality.

"Best of class" is a good thing!!
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Although I just made another post in the last few minutes on another part of the thread regarding the Pedegree, I wanted to make this post here just so we can refocus all of the comments back in this thread this is where most of the discussion has taken place. In a perfect world we would need some of those other threads into this one.
(Arizona Chapter)