V4.2 New Pedigree Functionality Discussion

Started by Dane, May 07, 2020, 23:51:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Dane

Velocity First Roller Club
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Some of the more cosmetic areas to discuss:

• Where should the name of the Loft and possibly address and phone number be located on the page?
    • Should there be an option to display a Loft image, picture or logo near the loft name and address?
    • Should there be an area near the bottom for the certification/signature of the pedigree?
    • Should it allow for a signature, include a signature as part of the info display area or have an option to do either one? 
    • Should there be a nice decorative border on the pedigree as some clubs use?   
    • Should the name and address also be included as part of the footer/bottom line of the pedigree?   

• Bigger Question: Should the picture of the pigeon the resume is being created for be at the top of the page near all the details displayed for it? 

•    

•    

(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

TESTING THE PEDIGREE FUNCTIONALITY

Assuming all the pedigree controls are possible, can you make a new standalone version available in a beta with say a version 4.199 that we can use for testing the pedigree features?
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

HIGHLIGHTING SAME BIRDS/BANDS ON A PEDIGREE

I believe I saw this request on an older thread, but can we have an options where any similar birds are highlighted on a pedigree?
Super helpful to find common ancestors!!  I know of one roller guy with a 100's of birds looking for just this one feature in a pedigree function since seeing similar ancestors is a HUGE priority to him.

I would suggest the basic options option would be to highlight with a single color any birds that have a band repeated anywhere in the pedigree.

The best option would be to use some logic to determine which band numbers appeared most frequently in the pedigree and have those band number ranked in priority and then color highlight them with each of the X number of highlighted colors avail until until they ran out of available colors then just highlight the rest of the bands with similar band numbers (even though their bands may not be the same) in grey.
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

I'll have a beta for this version indeed. It would be good to get enough feedback for these major changes.

Highlighting has been a pain in the past... Tried a couple times, but droped it after a while. It's still on the todo list though.

Dane

Making any progress with the new pedigree development?

Quote from: Timo on May 10, 2020, 09:45:31
I'll have a beta for this version indeed. It would be good to get enough feedback for these major changes.

Highlighting has been a pain in the past... Tried a couple times, but droped it after a while. It's still on the todo list though.
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

It's not really working out as planned at the moment. Having some issues with the preview. But I worked on the bugfix release the last few days, now that it's released I'm going back to this.

Eliud Chavez

Quote from: Dane on May 08, 2020, 02:16:52

• Where should the name of the Loft and possibly address and phone number be located on the page?
    • Should there be an option to display a Loft image, picture or logo near the loft name and address?
    • Should there be an area near the bottom for the certification/signature of the pedigree?
    • Should it allow for a signature, include a signature as part of the info display area or have an option to do either one? 
    • Should the name and address also be included as part of the footer/bottom line of the pedigree?   

• Bigger Question: Should the picture of the pigeon the resume is being created for be at the top of the page near all the details displayed for it? 

•    

•    

Hello, I'm Eliud Chavez from Mexico, it's my first comment on the forum, I hope make it fine... First at all, Congratulations Timo and team for the version 4.0.0 it's a great jump, i liked it too much...

About the new pedigree options, for me, are importants the 1, 2 (logo), 5, and 7 (of course)... in Mexico we don't use the 3 (certification), and for me is not important the 4 and 6...

About to highlight a specific RING on a pedigree, I think it's' a good idea, but, if it represent a big problem on programation, I think that the possibility of see the NAME of the pigeon on the pedigree, is very usefull too, is more identifiable a NAME that a RING... I gues...

Thank you!!!

Timo

Welcome Eliud. Good to hear you like the update.

I'll try to implement them all, but it's good to hear people's preferences. Adding the name is one of the options planned.

Dane

I had a couple thoughts about some of these items on the list:

Since some will and won't want  some features, when possible make the feature optional and configurable
so a user can choose to include or exclude the feature.  Do that for these features:

3 & 4. This is a perfect example of the above.  In the pedigree set-up/config area, just a check-box to include/exclude an image.  The image can then have a spot for a signature or have a signature added into the image.

5. Border

6. Footer location for Loft name & address

————

7.  Since this option may require a more significant amount of code change on the pedigree, there may need to me different pedigree versions (that can be selected by the user) to choose a version with the main bird pic at the top or in the middle left of the pedigree details.

Thoughts?

Quote from: Eliud Chavez on May 14, 2020, 19:07:15
Quote from: Dane on May 08, 2020, 02:16:52

•    

•    

Hello, I'm Eliud Chavez from Mexico, it's my first comment on the forum, I hope make it fine... First at all, Congratulations Timo and team for the version 4.0.0 it's a great jump, i liked it too much...

About the new pedigree options, for me, are importants the 1, 2 (logo), 5, and 7 (of course)... in Mexico we don't use the 3 (certification), and for me is not important the 4 and 6...

About to highlight a specific RING on a pedigree, I think it's' a good idea, but, if it represent a big problem on programation, I think that the possibility of see the NAME of the pigeon on the pedigree, is very usefull too, is more identifiable a NAME that a RING... I gues...

Thank you!!!
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

COMMENT FIELDS

After talking to some more roller guys, these suggestions:

In the bird specific data entry area, create these comment fields:

1. PRINTABLE PEDIGREE COMMENTS: allow the user to enter X number of comment lines, where X is the maximum number of lines that can be printed in the earlier generations on the Pedegree (for example, parents and grandparents only) at some point these comments will have to be Cut off and even eliminated as pedigree information is printed for older generations on the form.

2. INTERNAL COMMENTS: allow the user to enter an unlimited number of freeform common lines here. These comments will not be printed on the formal Pedegree.  However, These internal comments could be printed on a pedigree report If the user selects the appropriate option.

3. SUPPLIMENTAL REPORT COMMENTS: allow the user to enter an unlimited number of additional lines of Pedegree comments. These comments will not be printed on the main Pedegree form, due to lack of space. However, these comments can be printed on a Pedegree report which will not have confined space limitations.

PEDIGREE REPORT

I understand some of the comments above talk about printing comments on a pedigree report that has not yet been discussed. As a general statement, my suggestion is to have an additional report called a Pedegree report available for the user to print that would print in more of a linear fashion, allowing all the details and information in the system to be printed in more of a report format so all the information on the bird that exists could be read. Again, internal comments may or may not be printed on this report based on the user selecting the option to do so.
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

Quote from: Dane on May 15, 2020, 21:56:01
Since some will and won't want  some features, when possible make the feature optional and configurable
so a user can choose to include or exclude the feature.  Do that for these features:

[...]

That was indeed the plan. Add a switch to as many feautures as possible .

Quote from: Dane on May 15, 2020, 21:56:01
7.  Since this option may require a more significant amount of code change on the pedigree, there may need to me different pedigree versions (that can be selected by the user) to choose a version with the main bird pic at the top or in the middle left of the pedigree details.

That's already possible. There's the "original" and "swapped details" layout. The first has the pigeon details on the top right and the image in between father and mother. The other one has the image on the top right and pigeon details between father and mother.

I'm still in the very early process of testing what's possible with the pedigree print setup (see other topic). Once I know it's possible what I want to do, then I need to look how layouts will work from then on. At the moment, for even the little settings that are available, each layout has a fair amount of code for calculating space/padding/margins/coordinates to display everything. Now that there will be a multitude of settings, it'll be a nightmare to mostly duplicate all these calculations for different layouts. So the idea in the back of my head is to just provide one layout, but have enough settings to get the same result. For example "Image location: pedigree/header" or similarly "Pigeon details location: pedigree/header". Something like this.

Timo

Quote from: Dane on May 15, 2020, 22:06:02
COMMENT FIELDS

I think we talked about something similar before. Finding a suitable space in the application is a bit annoying. A new bottom tab is still my preferred solution. Or on the right with the other pigeon details and let the small screen users scroll. Need to keep this in mind while first working on other stuff and maybe some nice solution will pop up.

PEDIGREE REPORT

I'm not sure I fully understand. This is just a list of pigeons with their data, not a pedigree, right? That's possible through File=>Print=>Pigeons.

Dane

For now, I think the location of the triggers to enter this data is of lesser priority to me than adding the functionality (and then the user data) that can be used by the pedigree system or other reports and functionality.
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Yes . . . I did not provided all the details behind my report suggestion yet, just the concept. 

Let me try to add some additional background.

The idea comes from the fact that regardless how much data is stored for a pigeon in a system, there is only a sub-set of that data that can be displayed on a pedigree - and in regards to creating a valued pedigree this is acceptable and normal.

My suggestion is to allow more comments to be entered what can then be printed out for the user using another report, The Pedigree Report (not the actual pedigree)

The information desired from the report is all the comments stored for the primary bird on the pedigree and all the ancestors that are printed on the pedigree.   The report would print out all the data stored for the birds on the pedigree including all the comments.

Just as an example, perhaps something like this:
(details/comments are printed out until they are complete for every bird - for every bird/band that would have been printed on a pedigree)

<<Report sample below updated 05/18/20>>

Band no./sex/u1       Name                      Color             Sire          Dam           Loft        Strain     Status

G1:
VFRC 086 18 (C) [M]   Son of Showey Red Check   Red Check Self    VFRC 900 17   VFRC 901 17   Smitty LA   Apodaka    Breeder
Comments(gen):   [print all existing comments of this type in the system]
Comments(gen2):  [these are the extended comments I am proposing - print all existing comments of this type in the system]
Comments(int):   [these are the internal not normally printed, but that could be - print all existing comments of this type in the system]

G2 (Sire):
VFRC 101 17 (C )[M]   Champion Red              Red Check Self     VFRC 202 16   VFRC 203 16  Smitty,LA    Apodaka    Breeder
Comments(gen2):  [these are the extended comments I am proposing - print all existing comments of this type in the system]
Comments(int):   [these are the internal not normally printed, but that could be - print all existing comments of this type in the system]

G2 (Dam):
VFRC 101 17 (H )[M]   Behind Bars              Red BarSelf         VFRC 210 16   VFRC 225 16  Smitty,LA     Apodaka    Breeder

G3 (Sire):
VFRC 101 17 (C) [M]   Big Blue                 Blue Check Self     VFRC 370 15   VFRC 385 15  Smitty,LA    Apodaka    Breeder

G3 (Dam):
VFRC 101 17 (H) [M]   Bar None                Blue Barless         VFRC 375 15   VFRC 203 16  Smitty,LA    Apodaka    Breeder

G3 (Sire):
VFRC 101 17 (C) [M]   Checkered Flag          Red Check Self       VFRC 389 15   VFRC 395 15  Smitty,LA    Apodaka    Breeder

G3 (Dam):
VFRC 101 17 (C) [M]   Sweet Pumpkin Pie       Red Bar W/F          VFRC 398 15   VFRC 367 15  Smitty,LA    Apodaka    Breeder

and so on and so on . . .

PEDIGREE REPORT

I'm not sure I fully understand. This is just a list of pigeons with their data, not a pedigree, right? That's possible through File=>Print=>Pigeons.
[/quote]
(Arizona Chapter)