Started by Dane, April 15, 2020, 22:13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Dane

For new features and functionality after version 3.99.1
Velocity First Roller Club
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Pedigree Information Option Enhancement

Requesting that both the bird colors and bird strains can be included on the pedigree.

So instead of either or for the radio button options add the ability to choose both so the color AND the strain are included
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Allow a third line (piece of information - LOFT) to print on the pedigree.

Enhancement to the previous request.  Allow a third line to print on the pedigree.  I feel that many want to know where the bird came from as well, so on a specific bird, you could potentially list the color (important for sure), strain (definitely important) and also where the bird came from (using the existing loft field i.e. got the bird from "Bill Pensom" or "Pensom Lofts")

See attached for the options selection screen change mock-up and a mock-up of the new pedigree display.
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Add two new sub-total areas

(a) Mated Pairs (number of pairs that the computer still shows that the pairs are mated)
(b) Breeders (since this is already a classification of the pigeons, it is relatively easy to add and display and has value)
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Information Data (on Pedigree & off Pedigree)

I have seen this topic discussed previously and believe it has a lot of value.

Suggesting that there are two separate information fields stored and managed at the primary bird record level.

One of the fields (p) is data that is added into the pedigree as space allows.

The other field (i) is truly informational only and WILL NOT appear on the pedigree (well at least not the current/primary version)

See the attached mock-up for the addition of the field.  Excuse the user field information.  That is for a subsequent post/request.  ;)
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Requesting the addition of 2 user-definable fields

If the option is not selected in the advanced configuration area, current users will see no functional change.

Suggesting the addition of 2 user fields that can be renamed and be set to Y/N, numeric or date restricted.

See attached mock-up
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

There's one problem with all 3 requests: space.

1. Pedigree: vertical space on a paper is limited. If I add one row of text for each box, it won't fit anymore. That's the reason for the choice between the two extra lines, not at the same time. The printed pedigrees could use some extra attention, maybe reduce some font sizes, the header size, or better margins/calculations in general. But it's a messy job. The plan is to drop this way of generating pedigrees anyway. Replacing it by a pedigree designer, where you can drag and drop different elements (header/address/pigeon details/separators/pedigree boxes/...) in place and edit their attributes (font/font size/font colour/line colour/...). It's a lot of work and I only have some basic mockups ready.

I will add loft as a 3rd choice though.

2. Pigeon sub-totals  &  3. Extra details: There are still too many low-end laptops around with low screen resolutions. At the moment the interface just barely fits on a 1366x768 (if I'm correct) without too much scrolling around. Adding extra sub-totals would add another horizontal scrollbar and the extra fields on the right an extra vertical one. It's a bit of a trade off, on higher resolutions there's room to spare. This might be something for in the future to optimise.

2. Pigeon sub-totals: there are however some extra statistics available if you go to Help=>Information. A bit tucked away, but it has the numbers you mentioned. It's easy to add more here and perhaps find a better place in the menu.

3. Extra details: I had something similar in mind for some time as well. My idea was to add a new tab at the bottom, with (like you mentioned) a textbox for notes/comments. Maybe even a star rating system for different pigeon features like eye/wing/health/strength/breeding... Also the hatch date, nestbox and nest mate could be here (from the other topic).

Dane

I understand. Real estate/space on the page is always a concern and there's never enough.

I think I must be missing something however. When I  Generated my attached sample, it seemed like there was enough space on the first couple of generations to add all three attributes and some descriptive text as well. As you go farther in the generations there ends up being less and less possible space and in those situations my assumption would be that you add all of the initial first three attributes that were selected in the configuration, and then also as much textAs can be added. It seems like you should be able to calculate how much is left. For example, to fill out information for a Birds in the third generation, you could add all three attributes if they were selected and say two lines of descriptive text and then it would have to stop because you run out of space. It does seem like you can get a lot of this in there and being able to select all three attributes has a tremendous amount of value. That was one of the things I saw accomplished successfullyWith the now closed business that was power pigeon. I know demos of that product are still available and that is one I took a look at to try to compare and determine what was possible.
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

I can always experiment a bit. Will also have a look what the top/bottom page margins are, perhaps there's some room that can be taken.

Dane

(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

I am in the process of putting a proposal together to help upgrade the pedigree.  It will likely include the request to create a new pedigree type and the new options will only interact with this one new pedigree report version.  The primary focus is that IMO there needs to be a lot more information programmatically available on a pedigree and providing a user the options to determine which ones they want and where they want them would cover the broadest range of needs/requests.   

There is no reason we can't create on of the most complete and stunning pedigree printouts currently available from a pigeon loft management system anywhere.  Thx

Quote from: Timo on April 21, 2020, 16:06:04
I can always experiment a bit. Will also have a look what the top/bottom page margins are, perhaps there's some room that can be taken.
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

PIGEON DISPLAY FILTER

1.  I think it would help the navigation and UX if there was a filter icon under the main menu labels on the screen.

2. I think the filter itself should use check-boxes to select the statuses desired for the filter so that the user can select more than one status.

3. I would like to suggest a new filter status option called "In Loft", which includes all the statuses' that would indicate a bird is currently in the loft.
(I believe there would currently be just active, widow [if I understand how this term is being used correctly - mate died] and breeder) 
(Arizona Chapter)