3.99.1 Feedback (Minor & Cosmetic)

Started by Dane, April 15, 2020, 20:11:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Dane

I will provide some feedback ASAP but have always liked prioritizing between Minor/Cosmetic and Larger issues.  It could be the project manager in me, but it seems to work.

This section will be for the 3.99.1 Minor/Cosmetic Feedback
Velocity First Roller Club
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Please add back the alternating grey rows

The row highlighting is super helpful in reading data presented in a table format.

See attachment for display in old version.  New version has no grey alternating rows.

(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Make Titles in main table display bold again

Much easier to see the titles when they are bold.  The light grey is harder to see/read.  Thx
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

These are handled by the theme. I'm pretty sure I can override these, but this will change other themes as well which isn't good. The striped rows might work though, need to check that.

Dane

That theme is needed to get the rows to appear like they did in the previous version?  Thanks
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

Not only the theme has changed, but the entire GUI (interface) framework has been updated. They changed a lot. The striped rows is now something the theme should implement instead of the framework. It's a bit more tricky because not everyone uses the same theme. I'm pretty sure I can get the striped rows back, but won't change the column headers to a darker colour as that would break consistency for other themes.

Edit: scrap this comment. Alternating rows is not possible anymore, even if I wanted too. The functionality has been removed by the GUI framework.

Dane

Timo - No way at all to get the rows back?  They were super helpful reading multiple rows.  Excel also uses that feature a lot for the same reason - hard to read multi rows in a table if the rows are the same color.  Any other thoughts on how to differentiate the rows for easier reading?  Thx!!
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

They completely removed the possibility, so there's not really anything I can do. See the very last comment here if you're interested: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/581

Dane

Instead of changing some of the row colors to gray, are there any other road treatments that can be added to try to help Differentiate the text and n one row from another?
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

Not sure I understand what you mean.

There are some ways to change attributes (colours, fonts) through the code, but this needs to be done for each individual cell. I'm a bit wary to try this as it can become intensive to compute. There's been quite some effort to make the main list of pigeons as fast and responsive as possible. It would be a shame to destroy that effort by adding extra calculations. Especially larger lists can become a pain to work with like this.

Dane

I understand. Just wanted to explore the possibility of making some change, any change, to help the user be able to read all the data in the table a little bit more easily.  It's not a huge priority or a problem in my opinion. But being able to read a lot of information easily can be very helpful. Such a shame such a useful feature was removed from the interface. Unless there is something else that I missing, that was a shortsighted decision by whoever made it.
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

I know, especially when rows stretch out horizontally it's easier to follow the right row. That's why I also don't really agree with him when he says it has no benefit. But it's what they decide. Closest you can get is by selecting the row you're reading (or the one above/below).

Dane

Can you provide a link to the area where I can provide my opinion on that feature for the interface?

Thx
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

You might try on that link pasted earlier: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/581  But I'm not sure if it's really the right place. Plus I'm 100% certain they won't change their mind.

Dane

I know. Still always a good thing to try can communicate what has value and what doesn't.  If no one did this no telling what all would negatively change.  Thx
(Arizona Chapter)