Linux/Chromebook

Started by Albino_Hedgehog, May 09, 2019, 16:45:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Albino_Hedgehog

Hello,

I have been having some issues getting this to run on my Chromebook with Linux support, missing dependencies and such like.

Would a flatpak build be an option?

Other than this, it looks great from what I have read!!

Timo

Yeah, Linux packaging should be improved. I'm not familiar with Chromebook, but if it's a normal Linux distro you're just one terminal command away. Running sudo python2 setup.py install in the downloaded folder will bring in all dependencies and put Pigeon Planner in the right place (menu item etc). If you just want to install the dependencies and run Pigeon Planner from the download folder, run python2 -m pip install -r requirements.txt and then the script python2 pigeonplanner.py

I tried to create a Snap but it had some disadvantages. Maybe Flatpak is the next to try.

Albino_Hedgehog

Right,

I got the installation to complete on my Chromebook, but don't seem to have created any shortcuts :(

When running the pigeonplanner.py I run into a different issue of missing something or other!!

However, I have got it running on my windows based system!!

I do have a few ideas for the project, going forward, would you like for me to start a new thread with these, or pm/email you?

Timo

I'll have to look why no shortcuts are created. Which distro are you running?

The pigeonplanner.py script runs Pigeon Planner from the downloaded/unpacked folder. The installation should have placed the executable /usr/bin/pigeonplanner which is accessible from anywhere on the system. So you can just type pigeonplanner from the terminal. If that works, most distros usually have some kind of tool to add/edit/remove menuitems.

Doesn't really matter for me if you chose the forum or mail. It's up to you what's easiest.

Albino_Hedgehog

Ok.

I've got it running on my chromebook nicely now! Bit of work but all sorted out now!!

So I'll send you an email shortly with a few ideas that I have had!

Timo

Good to hear. I'll see if I can add a more userfriendly install script.