Author Topic: Portable a must  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Squeak

• Prior Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance
    • View Profile
    • Top Gun Pigeons
Portable a must
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:16:09 »
The way to go now is not to be system depended ie can pigeon planner be made into a portable app
this is the upgrade that is on my mind.
To have the ability to carry my pigeon records around on a pen stick tickles me and makes alot of sense.

Come the next major release 8 I will be making my first donation I love and adore the app.
Has a great future, believe in it and there for intend to support it.

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Portable a must
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:41:02 »
It is actually already possible to use Pigeon Planner without installing.

Go to this page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pigeonplanner/files/
Here you can find all files from all releases.

You will see that there are 3 files released with each version:
  • pigeonplanner-x.y.z.tar.gz    (Linux/source)
  • Pigeon_Planner-x.y.z.exe    (Windows)
  • pigeonplanner-x.y.z-win32.zip    (Windows)

You will need the win32.zip file. Unzip it and you can run the program directly from this folder.

Keep in mind that your database is saved in a different folder than the application! That means that if you run the program somewhere else, you begin with an empty database.
One way to take your database with you is to make a backup in the program (File->Backup->Backup or through the tools window) and then put this backup back on the other computer (File->Backup->Restore or through the tools window).

Offline Squeak

• View Profile
    • Top Gun Pigeons
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 23:19:02 »
Thankyou for such informative instruction will do precisely that thankyou again .
This app is forever surprising me.

Works great delighted. However experiencing problems with finding my pics even after the restore
from BK.  The good news is i can remove and add again this is fine just a little time consuming thats all.  Not complaining just making aware. It could be drive letter related.

To be fare I really dont care if there is another update for P PLANNER or not can get by great as it is.
but can see the potential of the prog with out losing the user friendly appeal. Thanks to a splendid thoughtfull layout. A layout that works for both fancier  (computer novice)   and for those like myself who can appreciate how difficult it can be to combine both elements to suite the novice user and cater for the digital domain at the same time have seen so many pigeon databases that have got it wrong.

Have played with Pigeon Planner now since ver 7 more than happy with it. equallly the support in the form of this forum. quick informative responses.

Therefore with each and every major release starting with 8 i will be making a small donation the first time i have ever donated too an app before. Believe me itake some pleasing.

PS: do you accept pay pal
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:55:07 by Squeak »

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:28:24 »
Ow, that's true and totally forgot about it. Pictures aren't portable because they aren't stored in the database, but the path to the file is. So if you move the image (or in this case the program), it can't be found anymore.

I'm just thinking about some way that would fix this partly, like using thumbnails for the picture in the pigeon details, and only use the full-sized picture if you use the photo album. Then if you make a backup and put it on another computer, it will take the thumbnails with it, and you still have the picture for your birds.

Thank you very, very much for your time and compliments. It was the goal since the beginning to make a simple but powerfull pigeon database, because I also think others don't get it right. So I'm very pleased to hear if someone thinks the same as me :-).

I do accept PayPal, you can click on the "Donate" button on the left of the website and it will take you to the PayPal site. Thanks again, it would be great support.

Offline Squeak

• View Profile
    • Top Gun Pigeons
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 21:09:25 »
Thankyou couldnt believe my luck when i stumbled across Pigeon Planner thought i was going to have to take time out to put something simple together using multimedia builder for quickness as the season is upon us.  Fell on my feet when i seen pigeon planner you know when something is right. and yes you have certainly succeed in your goal.  Well done.

Great glad u support pay pal my girl friend has an account so that too makes things simple.

Dont worry about the pics am still a very happy user and will amend as such.

No doubt u will sort in future releases.

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:44:41 »
Thanks for the nice comments.

I worked on it yesterday, and now pictures are portable too. Only the full-sized picture won't, because that one isn't found on a different computer, but atleast you can see a small one in the pigeon details and it won't complain anymore that it can't find the picture.

New version will come soon :).

Offline Squeak

• View Profile
    • Top Gun Pigeons
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:41 »
Great Stuff how quick was that am a big fan of portable apps and pigeon planner even fore fills this requirement too.

Your sitting canny Timo with a nice prog at a nice mature functional status with a great future ahead.
I wish you all the luck.