Author Topic: GTK2+ runtime environment  (Read 3816 times)

Offline LD Jackson

• View Profile
GTK2+ runtime environment
« on: May 23, 2010, 14:29:40 »
I am trying to install Pigeon Planner on Mepis 8.5 64 bit. When I click on the pigeonplanner.py file, nothing happens. If I try running the program from a terminal, it says the GTK2+ runtime environment is required. I have that installed, but it still does not work. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks for your help.

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GTK2+ runtime environment
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 18:39:51 »
Here instructions on how to install the needed packages:
1) Open Synaptic Package Manager
2) In Synaptic, go to Settings=>Repositories
3) Enable the line "ftp://ftp.mepis.com/mepis/"
4) Press "Ok" and then "Refresh" on the top left of Synaptic
5) Search for and install these 2 packages: python-gtk2 and python-glade2

This will let you run the program. There can be some problems though, because the PyGTK version is 2.12, and Pigeon Planner requires 2.16 or higher for some parts.
If it gives an error, you can tell it here, and I will try to fix it for older PyGTK versions.

Offline LD Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 18:44:27 »
Thanks, Timo. I was missing python-glade2. I do have the correct version of PyGTK and the program is up and running. I am playing around with it, learning as I go.

The reason I am doing this is because I lost all of the records of my loft due to a computer crash. I was using an Open Office spreadsheet and the backup I thought I had turned out to be empty for some reason. No doubt, I did something wrong. Once I have my information loaded into Pigeon Planner, how is the best way to back it up on to a thumb drive?

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 20:00:46 »
Which version of PyGTK (python-gtk2) is installed? Because when I tried it on SimplyMEPIS 8.5, I got version 2.12.

That really sucks if you backed it up, but the backup is corrupt. In Pigeon Planner there are 2 ways: manual and automatic.
 * You can go to File=>Backup or the Toolswindow. Choose the location where to save it and click "Backup". Same way to restore if needed.

* In the Preferences dialog, you can set up automatic backup. This is enabled by default, but if you want, you can change the interval and location.

Offline LD Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 20:09:34 »
Which version of PyGTK (python-gtk2) is installed? Because when I tried it on SimplyMEPIS 8.5, I got version 2.12.

That really sucks if you backed it up, but the backup is corrupt. In Pigeon Planner there are 2 ways: manual and automatic.
 * You can go to File=>Backup or the Toolswindow. Choose the location where to save it and click "Backup". Same way to restore if needed.

* In the Preferences dialog, you can set up automatic backup. This is enabled by default, but if you want, you can change the interval and location.

That is the version I have as well, but everything seems to be working. I am having to input all of the data again, which is a slow process. I have some of it from memory, but the band numbers I will have to get by catching the birds and reading them to my daughter. That will have to be done at night.

One thing that I have looked for, but may have overlooked. Is there a way to make a note of which birds are mated up and when any particular set of babies is due to be born?

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 23:09:31 »
Even better if it works :).

You are right about putting all your data back in again. We had all our results from the past 4 years in an Excel file. It took a long time to add them all into the program.

There is no way yet to see which birds are mated or a breeding system.
The breeding system is not on the planning yet, there are still lot's of things to do before I start on that.
I could implement that mate feature though. Let's say a box beneath or above the sire/dam box in the pigeon details.

Offline LD Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 23:13:16 »
Even better if it works :).

You are right about putting all your data back in again. We had all our results from the past 4 years in an Excel file. It took a long time to add them all into the program.

There is no way yet to see which birds are mated or a breeding system.
The breeding system is not on the planning yet, there are still lot's of things to do before I start on that.
I could implement that mate feature though. Let's say a box beneath or above the sire/dam box in the pigeon details.

That would work just fine. What I plan to do for now is use the extra box and put in the mate and egg hatching details there. I will be looking forward to seeing what features you implement.

Thanks again for a great program.