Not able to run Pigeon Planner (Windows 10, 64-bit)

Started by aFluxx, July 15, 2020, 09:19:24

Previous topic - Next topic

aFluxx

Hello there,

I am not able to run Pigeon Planner on Windows 10, 64-bit.
I tried both installer and portable version.

I also tried running as an administrator.

What happens is that there actually nothing happens. When I click the pigeon planner program to open it, there is no hourglass or waiting symbol or anything.

Timo

The logfile would be very helpful, it's located here: %APPDATA%\pigeonplanner\pigeonplanner.log

I've attached a video which shows how to get there.

If you're not comfortable sharing it on this public forum, just send it by private message or email.

Timo

That's weird, it's not obvious what's failing. I've had one user with the same problem a while ago, but we never figured out what fixed it in the end. Can you download and run this modified version? It'll write much more to the logfile.

http://www.pigeonplanner.com/pigeonplanner-4.0.0-debug2-win32.zip

Each time you run Pigeon Planner, a number is appended to the logfile (pigeonplanner.log.1 etc), so if you run it multiple times and suddenly it works or something changes, also share a previous version if possible. Not needed if just ran once of course.

aFluxx

The debug version ran from the first time I tried (as admin)

Timo

Annoying. Does it also run as normal user? What antivirus software is running?

aFluxx

Just tested, it does run as normal user.

I am using Bitdefender

Timo

Does the regular version 4.0.1 work again by any chance? With some luck it triggered something. It's annoying because there's no error so I get atleast some idea of what's wrong, but it seems like it just stops loading halfway through.

Can you also have a look in Bitdefender to see if it blocks the Pigeon Planner executable or put some of its files in qquarantine?

aFluxx

The normal 4.0.1 does not seem to run.

I tried disabling Bitdefender fully and running it, no succes.

Also tried adding the executable to the Bitdefender exceptions without success.

Pretty strange issue indeed!

Timo

So it's not the antivirus blocking execution. I'm a bit lost. Thanks for all the feedback though.

I'm about to release a little bugfix version a bit later today, I don't expect it to change anything for you though. But you can defintely give it a try. I'll make a special debug version again in the coming days and hope a bit for the best.

Timo

One thing to try is to move all dll files from the lib directory to the main directory (where the exe is).

aFluxx

Right now I'll be able to use the debug version, which is nice of you to provide.

If I find anything else I will keep you updated.