Pigeon Planner forum

Not able to run Pigeon Planner (Windows 10, 64-bit)

aFluxx · 12 · 244

Offline aFluxx

• View Profile
Hello there,

I am not able to run Pigeon Planner on Windows 10, 64-bit.
I tried both installer and portable version.

I also tried running as an administrator.

What happens is that there actually nothing happens. When I click the pigeon planner program to open it, there is no hourglass or waiting symbol or anything.

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The logfile would be very helpful, it's located here: %APPDATA%\pigeonplanner\pigeonplanner.log

I've attached a video which shows how to get there.

If you're not comfortable sharing it on this public forum, just send it by private message or email.

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's weird, it's not obvious what's failing. I've had one user with the same problem a while ago, but we never figured out what fixed it in the end. Can you download and run this modified version? It'll write much more to the logfile.

http://www.pigeonplanner.com/pigeonplanner-4.0.0-debug2-win32.zip

Each time you run Pigeon Planner, a number is appended to the logfile (pigeonplanner.log.1 etc), so if you run it multiple times and suddenly it works or something changes, also share a previous version if possible. Not needed if just ran once of course.

Offline aFluxx

• View Profile
The debug version ran from the first time I tried (as admin)

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Annoying. Does it also run as normal user? What antivirus software is running?

Offline aFluxx

• View Profile
Just tested, it does run as normal user.

I am using Bitdefender

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Does the regular version 4.0.1 work again by any chance? With some luck it triggered something. It's annoying because there's no error so I get atleast some idea of what's wrong, but it seems like it just stops loading halfway through.

Can you also have a look in Bitdefender to see if it blocks the Pigeon Planner executable or put some of its files in qquarantine?

Offline aFluxx

• View Profile
The normal 4.0.1 does not seem to run.

I tried disabling Bitdefender fully and running it, no succes.

Also tried adding the executable to the Bitdefender exceptions without success.

Pretty strange issue indeed!

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So it's not the antivirus blocking execution. I'm a bit lost. Thanks for all the feedback though.

I'm about to release a little bugfix version a bit later today, I don't expect it to change anything for you though. But you can defintely give it a try. I'll make a special debug version again in the coming days and hope a bit for the best.

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
One thing to try is to move all dll files from the lib directory to the main directory (where the exe is).

Offline aFluxx

• View Profile
Right now I'll be able to use the debug version, which is nice of you to provide.

If I find anything else I will keep you updated.