Mockup: Pedigree print settings

Started by Timo, May 08, 2020, 17:59:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Timo

Currently changing settings for the printed pedigree is very cumbersome. Plus there aren't many settings available. Here's a mockup of something I have in mind.

When clicking "Print", this window shows up. On the left will be a live preview that reacts to every change on the right so the user has immediate feedback as to what each setting does.

Some notes:

1. These are some initial settings to test, more will be added, some can be changed or removed.
2. There should be a "Save settings" option so the user can quickly choose settings of any previously made pedigree.
3. Is it or will it become too cluttered? Maybe use dropdowns (accordion effect) to show/hide different sections. This might be counterproductive as the user needs multiple clicks to navigate the settings.

Dane

YES  This is absolutely going in the right direction!!  Very nice initial mock-up.

How long will it take to get a prototype available for testing?

I would also suggest making an initial version called something like "Premium-default" that was not editable and that kept all the initial setting and then let the users copy that one and make their own.  That way the standard is always available and reliable as a default and then users could not create a situation where their only pedigree didn't work right and they couldn't figure out how to fix it.
Velocity First Roller Club
(Arizona Chapter)

Dane

Also I did create a new pedigree thread,  Did we want to move/keep all the pedigree discussion there?
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

I'll have to see if all this is actually possible. The print preview is something I don't fully control. This should become available in version 4.2 and I usually don't release test builds for these minor version updates, but this is a feature that benefits from user feedback. I can't give a timeframe though. Also, it's possible to run the absolute latest code without me releasing builds, but that requires some knowledge about the terminal/commandline and is not really advised if you don't really know what you're doing.

The idea is indeed to have a few base layouts, not everyone wants to mess with settings constantly. Definitely the current layouts will still be available.

That other thread is fine. Keeps the discussion about pedigree settings and this preview tool separated.

Dane

DIRECT ACCESS TO PEDIGREE PRINT PREVIEW

Is it possible to have another dropdown selection option appear when right-clicking on a bird that would allow the user to choose print preview directly instead of having to select the pedigree screen preview first?

Another upgrade feature could be allowing a keystroke combination CTRL+ (some key) that would allow the user to see the print preview pedigree immediately.  Possible?  Thx
(Arizona Chapter)

Timo

Sure, these are very small additions.