Upload backup in another laptop

Started by Aslaoui, April 07, 2020, 14:05:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Aslaoui

Hello again.

I have one more question please. To avoid loosing my database from my laptop (in case it is broken or whatever), I downloaded pigeon planner on  my wife's laptop as well. I made a backup from my original database and save it on my USB. But when I try to upload it in my wife's computer I get this message ; Invalid Path.
Any help please?

Timo

This is not abnormal. The database is usually located in your user directory, so if you move the backup to another computer with another user, the paths are wrong because the username changed. This is easily fixed by selecting the database in the restore window and click on "Change database path". The selected folder is most likely already the right one to pick.

Aslaoui

Thank you Timo for your help. I have done it successfully but without the pictures of the pigeons (They existe in Media file). Is it normal?

Thank you once again for you kind assistance.

Timo

Yes, you're right. The pictures are not saved in the database, only the path/location to the picture itself. So if you remove the picture from your harddrive or move the database to another computer, the paths don't point to the pictures anymore. This is the case for both the pigeon pictures and all files in the media tab. I might have to think this through a bit, maybe find a way to handle this more properly so media files are included.

No problem, just let me know when you have questions and/or problems.

epliett

I too am having problems getting all my bird entry's on my main laptop to my other laptop. I did a backup on a flash drive which are zipped. I put flash drive in the 2nd.
computer, click on the drive for the flash drive, the backup files show. I don't have a clue how to send them to my other computer. I'm using Windows 10. And I have the
Pigeon Planner program installed also. Can you offer any assistance on what I need to do next? I keep going in circles.

Timo

You'll have to do this from within Pigeon Planner. In the menubar on top, go to File=>Backup. There's a button called "Restore backup", there you can choose the zipped file from the thumbdrive.