Transfer Pigeon Planner data from Desktop/Laptop PC to Android Tablet/Smartphone

Started by clipper, January 14, 2019, 18:17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

clipper

I first mentioned this project on this forum just over 3 years ago but due to  work commitments I wasn't able to make much progress.

The intention is to transfer pigeon details that have been input using Pigeon Planner  (Pedigrees, Breeding, Results, Medication, photos etc) for viewing on their Android tablet or Smartphone.

I've now got more time to work on the project. If there is any interest from users of Pigeon Planner, I'd be pleased to hear from you. In particular, those users that would be prepared to let  me have some sample data to work with.

Please contact me via Personal Message if you prefer.

Thanks

clipper

clipper

Archerpigeons, Warnerions and others have suggested  some very useful  improvements/new features for  Pigeon Planner.
I hope to include some of them  in my Android app.

Further suggestions welcome!

Steve

ArcherPigeons

I believe it would be best to create an android version of Pigeon Planner (and work with TIMO as a collaborator) rather than a standalone app. It would be amazing if there was some mechanism for a cloud based live updating too, either locally hosted or using Google/Dropbox/Amazon/something.

For me, the two main features I'm keen for are (1) highlighting the inbreeding in pedigrees, and (2) extended pedigrees going back many many many generations

Timo

You are of course free to build a mobile app. Pigeon Planner uses SQLite as the database backend so it should be easy to work with (inspecting the scheme etc).

Just don't name it Pigeon Planner, apparently someone else already did this for Android without my permission and people think it's an official app.

A mobile app is constantly on my mind as well, but there are so many more things that can/should be done first on the desktop version that it keeps getting pushed back.

clipper

First of all, let me say that I had no intention of naming my app 'Pigeon Planner' or anything like it.

I've developed Windows database applications professionally since 1987 and am quite familiar with most commercial database formats.  I started writing custom pigeon software for PC's -Fed and club race results programs and loft management software for studs and fanciers from about 1989.

I now concentrate on developing mainly custom cloud based Android apps for small businesses.

I thought users of desktop loft management software might like to have a VIEW ONLY app on their Android mobile devices so that they could view their pigeon details – pedigrees, medication, race history etc. whenever they want and wherever they are.  To add the ability to add/edit records for different loft management applications would require too much of my time.

A version for Pigeon Planner users was to be the first version of my Android app. However, the response from users on this forum has been disappointing and there seems to be little point in me spending time developing a Pigeon Planner version.

ArcherPigeons

I'm more than happy to help you Clipper, you're free to use my database for testing.

I do think it would be a mistake to fragment it from pigeon planner though, I believe we would all be better off if we had multiple developers working on one overarching project (ie, PigeonPlanner on multiple platforms, and cloud based support for multiple devices). Splitting it up just means that we'll end up with multiple products with smaller and smaller userbases.

Don't get disheartened by the forum - after all this is a very niche product, and most pigeon breeders are in the older age brackets and don't know a single thing about open source software. The userbase isn't huge here to start with, so the proportion using the forum are even smaller.

clipper

I see your point regarding having Pigeon Planner on multiple platforms. However, at the moment, I cannot commit the time that would be required to develop an app that includes add/edit records.

If you are happy to help with the trialling of a view only version, I will continue developing the app for Pigeon Planner. Maybe in the future I might consider an editable version.

From your previous posts, I see that you would like to include pedigrees for trial pairings and inbreeding indicators etc.  Most of my custom Windows based loft management applications have included these features and I intended including them in the Android app.

Thanks for your offer of the use of your database. This would be most welcome as it would be more realistic than using the computer generated database that I've created. I promise that your database will be used only for testing and not shared with anyone.

If you're happy to help with the trial, please send me a personal message and I will send you my email address so you can let me  have a copy of your database.

ArcherPigeons

Thanks Clipper, I've messaged you - happy to help out.

I'm sure Timo would welcome contributions to the Windows software as well, there are always suggestions and improvements that could be made and more helpers makes the burden lighter. Perhaps some of your older custom code could be implemented in PigeonPlanner Windows? :)

Timo

I'm just going to add some comments to the conversation.

* I get mails from time to time from users asking if there's a mobile version available. This forum isn't really that much visited, so response is most likely lower than the actual request. Edit: have a look at the download statistics which might give a rough estimate of the amount of users.

* View-only is a good way to have something available. It was my first choice as well for a mobile app.

* If the app is open source I'm willing to mention/link it on the website. Being FOSS is one of the Pigeon Planner features and I want to keep it that way.

* The database is a single SQLite file. Pigeon Planner uses the user_version PRAGMA to indicate schema changes. This doesn't happen often though and there aren't really any changes planned at the moment. Current version is 3, I'd recommend to check that the user's database has at least this version.

* Unless clipper's software is written in the same programming language, it's most likely very hard to just copy features over between the two applications. So things should be reimplemented.

ArcherPigeons

Sounds great, I really feel a "development team" approach would be much more effective than using PP data in a separate project.
PP is great software, and will only become greater if a team is working together on it, even if you're working on different things within the same project.

Clipper, it sounds like you have a wealth of valuable experience - would you be willing to put it to use improving and growing Pigeon Planner, or are you more set on the stand-alone mobile app? Either way I think it'll be a great app, I just hope we don't fragment the project to its detriment...

clipper

Thanks for a copy of your database.
If anyone else would like to trial the app, I'd be pleased to hear from them.

I'm making progress with the app and have already built in features such as Trial Pairings and Inbreeding indicators and I hope to make the first trial version available soon.

I concentrate on mobile Android apps these days rather than Windows software and wouldn't really want to get too involved with the development of Pigeon Planner as I don't have the time.
I'm more than happy to try and build features into the app that are suggested by Pigeon Planner users.

My intention for the app is to offer different versions for various PC Loft management software applications. The Pigeon Planner version is the first to be developed.

The app will not be open source. However, it will be made available to Pigeon Planner users free of charge with an option to 'donate' if they wish.

I accept Timo's comment regarding mentioning/linking the app on the forum and if he does not want me to post any further details of the app's progress on this forum, I will respect his decision.

Timo

Don't get me wrong, it might have sounded harsher than it actually was. It's just that one of the "features" of Pigeon Planner is that it's open source and I strongly advocate for that. That doesn't mean I will block or oppose other initiatives which are not. You're free to use this forum for contact with users as well.

clipper

Thanks Timo for your reply.
I will post the occasional comment regarding the progress of the app's development.

I've sent you a private message.

ArcherPigeons

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and helping/testing.

I agree with Timo that FOSS is a major strength of PP, so it would have been great if your app was also FOSS, but of course it is your work, your code and your choice.