picture error

Started by nigeir, March 13, 2010, 16:23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

nigeir

Hi Timo... i encounter an error .. when i update from 0.7.4 to 0.8.0, my backup restored all my data but problem occured:

Logfile viewer;
[2010-03-13 23:08:27,625] PigeonPlanner CRITICAL: File pigeonplanner\mainwindow.pyo line 1260 - GError: Failed to open file 'C:\Documents and Settings\nigeir\Application Data\pigeonplanner\thumbs\22072008046-001.png': No such file or directory
TRACEBACK: Traceback (most recent call last):
TRACEBACK:   File "pigeonplanner\mainwindow.pyo", line 1260, in selection_changed
TRACEBACK: GError: Failed to open file 'C:\Documents and Settings\nigeir\Application Data\pigeonplanner\thumbs\22072008046-001.png': No such file or directory

I retype all data w/image to fix the error! Note: there's no image where deleted during the update. and after the retype details where fix.
Thumbs up!!

Timo

Hmm, I had mails about this. Must be something wrong when converting the images to thumbnails.

But you say it is fixed when re-adding the images?

Squeak

Yes exactly the same thing happened to me and adding the pics again was fine

Timo

But this only happened once the first time you installed 0.8.0? Just to be sure, then I can locate the error in the code.

Squeak

What happened Timo was I installed the system version first it was fine the only probs i could see
was on the initial exe the load appeared a bit slow but has been fine since as regards to the picture error this only happened to me on the portable app version.

Lots of Logfile viewer; messages, too many copiied and pasted the pics back i have an image folder backedup more of an overwrite if you like.

PS : Due to format a pen stick soon to dedicate as my portable pigeon planner so i willbe installing
portable planner clean from the ground up even going to download the portable version again.
so i will make a note of any issues that arise during this process.  will be able to tell u more than.
By the way liked the fact that you have actually labelled the portable app download as such first thing i noticed.

Timo

Yes, I thought: it is there, so I'll put the portable on the download page too :).

If you used images with 0.7.4 and earlier, it is possible that the first time you run 0.8.0 it is a bit slow, because it will turn all images to thumbnails.That means resizing and saving them one by one. Seems I have to review the code, because a couple of people have problems with it (except me :)). Very weird it was only on the portable version, because it actually is the same code. But to be sure again: this only happened once? After setting the pictures back for the pigeons, it didn't give an error again?

Squeak

Downloaded portable version again unzipped it directedly onto a clean 2 gig USB pen stick which was formated in NTFS under W7.

Now because I am running a quad boot 2k,xp,vista and W7.  I thought this too would be great oppertunity to test it under all OS.  Needless to say I start with windows 2000 professional SP4 fully updated as from last month.  To my surprise Pigeon Planner failed to open full stop despite waiting several minutes all other OS worked perfectly pictures too experienced no errors of any kind was and am well pleased. Just the 2K issue.

Another concern i relised was despite setting the backup destination and restore point.  Each time after inserting the USB device it would switch back to default options.

I no this is portable related and to be fare dont mind it all as long as one is aware of the issue.

All in all well pleased with portable version more than i bargained for.

Timo

Hmm weird, I tested on w2k and it worked. although that was some time ago and I did lots of updates since then. If I have the time for it, I'll install w2k again and run some tests.

The preferences are saved in a file in the same directory as the database, so if you move to a different computer, these files don't exist yet and the program creates a new empty database and default configuration file. It should work after you restore your backup though. Because that includes the database and confguration file.

Squeak

I see I will take note of the backup and check after a restore to see if it reverts to custom settings again thankyou.

Am also going to checkout 2k again

Went back into 2k still refusing to load despite 10 additional updates from microsoft.  two of which were Direct X 9 related and the other was an update for explorer 6 sp1 which has made me believe that perhaps the prob is explorer related since 6 is not exactly new the thing is i cant update to a new one because it would spoil my quad boot and iwill have lost an asset if u no what i mean.

Just before shutting down 2K had a quick look in device manager and noted that the Usb Device was be picked up as a genric volume.  Going to try a different USB pen stick just out of curiousity.

Another point is I have the System Version installed in W7 as a perment install when you plug in the portable version it will bring up the system version data.  Are u aware of this Timo. It appears that the system app is master over portable.

Timo

Installed w2k and indeed, it doesn't start anymore. I will have a look at this.

It is normal that the portable and installed version open up the same data on the same computer. Just because they both look in the same folder for the database and configuration file.

On a side note: I released a little version update (0.8.2). It has a few nice new things, like an improves search and filter dialog. Aswel as an option to save the pedigree as pdf to your harddisk.

Squeak

Sorry to be the one too report the 2K LOADING ISSUE.

Same folder for the database and configuration file.  Read you loud and clear

Version update (0.8.2). Mint. Love the PDF save feature great for digital mail and print.
However just a point to note: filled in the comment details at the end of my personal details with the name of my loft failed to show up in PDF doc.  Everything else fine.

Loved the search filter update too.  In particular search by strain.

Keep up the good work PP matureing nicely.

Timo

The only personal info that shows up on the pedigree are name, addres, phone and email. I will put the comment line on it too, and add the option in the preferences.

I agree that the program is evolving nicely. I do my best ;). And thanks to everyone who reports errors and has suggestions.

Squeak

Your best is great love it.
and will continue to support your work.
Pigeon Planner really takes such a weight off me and my management.
The obvious is there to be seen.  Throughout the app in every shape and form.

PS:
Am curious do u keep pigeons too:

Timo

Yes, I have pigeons too :). Well, together with the neighbour. He asked me about 4 years ago if I would like to help him out, and I don't regret that I said yes!

It was also his idea to make some pigeon software. Because he used an old, and pretty bad program, and asked if I could make something better. Now he is happy with the result :).

Squeak

Quote from: Timo on March 24, 2010, 15:57:11
Yes, I have pigeons too :). Well, together with the neighbour. He asked me about 4 years ago if I would like to help him out, and I don't regret that I said yes!

It was also his idea to make some pigeon software. Because he used an old, and pretty bad program, and asked if I could make something better. Now he is happy with the result :).

Good for you!
and your neighbour