Author Topic: Default file path and easy switch file path  (Read 3916 times)

Offline 426

• View Profile
Default file path and easy switch file path
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:42 »
Dear Timo,

Suggestion for default file path and easy switch file path.

Currently when input file it doesn't memorize last opened directory, somehow it's numerous clicks when trying to insert pics/files.

Is it possible that, either let the program copy a backup pics/files default to Pigeon Planner directory folder, or can set it to memorize last opened directory.

Also can you design this lovely program to, show each pigeon pics/files directory for easy modification.
For example, I moved the whole pics/files directory from C:/pigeons/pictures to D:/loft/pigeons/pictures,
then all I need to do is just go and modify the C:/ to D:/loft if you know what I meant.

Thank you.

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Default file path and easy switch file path
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:58:24 »
I see your point, adding lots of pictures is harder when constantly browsing your drive :). I will have a look at it today.

The way Pigeon Planner works with images is that you point to an image you want, it stores this path in the database and makes a thumbnail from it. This thumbnail is used in the detailsview and mediatab. It will only query the original image in the photo album or when opening it in the mediatab. If the original image isn't found, a messagebox will pop up.

So the program stores the path to the image for each pigeon individually, which means that if you move the original image, you should edit the pigeon and re-add the picture.
I can't think of a way right now on how this can be done to multiple pigeons at the same time.

Offline 426

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:22:36 »
Thank you for you quick reply!

It's ok not to modify multiple pigeons at the same time, maybe just under each pigeon show's the path of each pic/file/album, and can be modify from there.

More suggestions :) can you make it while adding new pigeon, you can still browse other pigeon, it's easier to copy related info from one to other, or just let user copy similar pigeon and modify from there.

Also please introduce seasons into years, bcoz we race/train pigeon during 4 seasons ::)

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 18:45:54 »
I added the code to remember the last choosen location today (per session only).

I wonder if it wouldn't clutter the interface too much if I add an entrybox beneath the image when editing/adding. Let me think about this a bit, because the imagewidget needs some major rewrite for the next 2.0 version of the program, which should allow multiple images per pigeon.

The reason why you can't browse other pigeons is a precaution so the user won't do anything else to the database in the meantime. Potential solution:
Display the details in a dialog when adding/editing a pigeon and disable the whole main window except the treeview and detailsview.

I don't really understand your last sentence. Can you explain a bit?

Offline 426

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 18:59:00 »
Dear Timo,

We race pigeons 4 times a year, spring; summer; autumn; winter.

So when user add a new pigeon, allow them to add which season the pigeon is going to race at (not a required option just put it there for user who needs it for search purpose).

My family had 1000+ pigeons, each season will be about 50 more  ::)