Testing version 3

Started by Timo, September 16, 2018, 00:32:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Timo

Warning: do not use a development release if you are not sure how to properly revert changes or have any doubts following below instructions.

Major changes in this release to test:

• Database manager
  • Database backend
  • Band entry

Before doing anything, make a copy of your existing database and only work with the copy. Do not open the original database with the test versions. Making copies is now very easy with the database manager, read below and see screenshots.

1. Database manager

This is a new window that will be shown at startup and let's you create multiple databases to keep pigeons for different fanciers or separate racing and fancier pigeons for example. It provides a couple of features to work with databases. Like making one the default to automatically open at startup, copy/move them to another location, edit their details or add one from an external source. Try to test these various options.

2. Database backend

The entire database backend has been re-written. This doesn't have any visual changes, but everything you do in the application is affected. So try to make as many changes (add/edit/delete) in various parts to see if everything behaves as before.

It's possible that the initial migration fails, I only was able to test with my own data. If it fails for you, it's easiest to fix if you send the database to me. In case you're not comfortable sharing the data, the logfile might help.

Due to this change the database migration from the old format may take some time depending on your computer and amount of pigeons. I'll try to speed this up some more.

3. Band entry

There's a completely new band entry with:
  1. More fields: country, letters, numbers, year (instead of only numbers and year)
  2. A custom band format per pigeon (instead of the fixed number / year display)

See if the custom band format is displayed correctly throughout the application.

Download

The testreleases are numbered as 2.99.X and can be found on the download page: https://launchpad.net/pigeonplanner/+download

Changes
- Fixed error during initial database migration from old to new format

ArcherPigeons

I only get "database migration failed" error using the Windows Portable 2.99

Timo

Hmm ok. These are the things that could be expected due to the large amounts of core changes. If you feel comfortable, can you email me your database? Or atleast the logfile to see the error.. The path to both can be seen in the database manager just underneath the database name.

ArcherPigeons

Timo

That would be necessary indeed :-) Mail me at timovwb@gmail.com . It might also be visible in my forum profile, not sure about that.

ArcherPigeons

2.99.1 looks good so far, just a quick suggestion: when adding a new pigeon, maybe when you haven't typed anything into the letters, numbers, years yet have the input area filled with "letters" "numbers" "years" in shadowed writing, so make it clear which input box is which... does that make sense?

Timo

You're looking for "placeholder" most likely. That was my first idea as well, but is not (easily) possible with the version of the GUI framework that's being used. Once that's being updated this will be possible. It's a necessary update anyway, but quite some work. In the meantime there are tooltips when hovering over the fields to indicate which is which, and of course when clicking the properties icon on the right.

ArcherPigeons

Had this error when attempting to add a new pigeon:

Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pigeonplanner\ui\detailsview.pyo", line 90, in on_dialog_response
  File "pigeonplanner\ui\detailsview.pyo", line 555, in operation_saved
  File "pigeonplanner\core\pigeon.pyo", line 55, in add_pigeon
  File "pigeonplanner\database\models.pyo", line 144, in get_for_band
  File "peewee.pyo", line 5407, in get
  File "peewee.pyo", line 5810, in get
PigeonDoesNotExist: <Model: Pigeon> instance matching query does not exist:
SQL: SELECT "t1"."id", "t1"."band_number", "t1"."band_year", "t1"."band_country", "t1"."band_letters", "t1"."band_format", "t1"."sex", "t1"."visible", "t1"."colour", "t1"."name", "t1"."strain", "t1"."loft", "t1"."sire_id", "t1"."dam_id", "t1"."extra1", "t1"."extra2", "t1"."extra3", "t1"."extra4", "t1"."extra5", "t1"."extra6" FROM "pigeon" AS "t1" WHERE (((("t1"."band_country" = ?) AND ("t1"."band_letters" = ?)) AND ("t1"."band_number" = ?)) AND ("t1"."band_year" = ?)) LIMIT ? OFFSET ?
Params: [u'', u'TEST', u'12324', u'2018', 1, 0]

Timo

Got it. It was a leftover unique flag set on the band number+year combo. So TEST-12324-2018 was seen as identical to FOO-12324-2018 by the database. I changed it now so all fields are checked.

ArcherPigeons

Cool, I'll test some more when the next one comes out.

ArcherPigeons

The new "remove pigeon" dialog in 3.2.0 is GREAT! Thanks so much, it makes it so much easier to use. You've done a great job Timo  :)

Timo