Author Topic: keeping track of different breeds or family of birds  (Read 1528 times)

Offline epliett

• View Profile
keeping track of different breeds or family of birds
« on: January 11, 2018, 01:08:28 »
I'm wondering if it is possible to separate one breed of pigeon from another breed. I noticed when entering young birds that i've raised from 3 different family's of a breed, that they ALL are listed by year, band number, and family, that's fine. But having 3 different BREEDS of pigeons, is there a easy way to keep them separated from one another?
Thanks Ed 

Offline epliett

• View Profile
Re: keeping track of different breeds or family of birds
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 16:02:49 »
I think i figured out how to identify my different breeds. I added the column NAME to the data fields. I use that to enter what Breed i'm entering data into. Maybe that's how your suppose to do it. Hope this helps anyone else that has diff. breeds.

Offline ArcherPigeons

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 08:33:23 »
It is "strain" in the bird data.

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 22:43:14 »
Is "breed" a better English term than "strain" or does it even depend on region? (British, American, Australian, ...)

Offline ArcherPigeons

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:36:32 »
Strain is the usual English term. Occasionally "family" or "breed", but it is usually "strain".

Offline Scurry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:54:29 »
Is that indeed the best way to keep track of the breeds as Epliett described it? There's no specific feature that allows for it?

Offline Timo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 12:49:42 »
More like what ArcherPigeons mentioned. There's a "Strain" field in the pigeon details that's meant for specifying the breed.

You can then add that strain column to the main list by going to Preferences=>Columns, this way it's possible to sort all pigeons by strain.

There's also a filter where you can specify which pigeons to show, including by strain. Go to View=>Filter... for this (it's in the toolbar in the upcoming version).

If this is still not what you're looking for I'm always open to new ideas. Just try to explain in detail, point me to other software or show some screenshots/images.

nominee